Exposit is a CMS (Content Management System) that allows the creation of a born-digital exhibition accessible with just a few clicks for museums, art galleries, and curators. It solves the pain of knowing technical languages and the dependence on existing platforms with an innovative and seamless user interface. My role was to research, design, and test all UI's related to the project. I collaborated with another UX/UI Design.
Studio for Curation Discourse
2 weeks (May 2020)
Miro, Notion, Sketch, and Principle
"We are missing digital-born content to create an engaging virtual experience for the online visitors. We need to reach a result quickly"
The first step was to understand the process of creating an exhibition and what is the main necessity when doing it. So we interviewed curators, professionals from museums, and the stakeholders, to understand the problem and their main necessity.
There was not much interest from visitors for online museums but, according Google Trends, during the lockdown period and with the impossibility of opening cultural establishments, the virtual museum number searches increased.
Already exist some platforms that could be used by museums and some of them are free and execute the digitalization for them. Trying to go deeper we researched the top 5 most relevant competitors and discovered that the existent tools have low interaction and customization, the deployment process involves third parties increasing time. Also, museums and curators have a lack of technical knowledge to use it.
To learn more about the experience from the visitor's perspective, we ran a survey what was eye-opening to me. They visit museums looking for learning and immersive experiences, but one of the reasons that they don't like to do it online is because most of the museums offer the 360-degree view that it's annoying when they have to spend a long time navigating.
I prefer starting with low-fidelity wireframes to think through the structure of the webpages. I used the crazy 8 technique to brainstorm this process with the team. So, I used Sketch to translate the ideas into the mid-fidelity, then I could show to the client the clicked user-flow and the features proposed according to the visitors' necessity. It was also used to test and to iterate.
I created a mood board to translate the 5 brand attributes and help us through the process of choosing typography, and colors, and styles that match the vision of the product and the look and feel of a museum. All this process was based on user personas.
Seeing is believing! I had to prototype the High-Fidelity using Principle, applying animation and micro-interactions to showcase as a demo to the stakeholders.
Let’s see how a museum or a curator can create a born-digital exhibition in our platforms.
A dedicated page offering interactive content, with visual appealing, audio and video tools, guided option, summarized and extended content for users who are looking for general or detailed information.
I learned about the process of creating a web application that involves 2 different points of view from users, in this case, the museum/curator and the visitor. Developing a solution for both in only two weeks was complex and fun!
During the research process, I was genuinely surprised to see that even with the facilities offered by the competitors, only 2.7% of German museums are offering virtual exhibitions. Then discovering the main points, we created a CMS (Content Management System) with templates, where the curator needs only to include texts and pictures and organize the content
While the whole project was a huge learning experience, I especially loved iterating and testing those new designs on users. This tight feedback loop helped take the ambiguity out of design, and it felt good to produce designs with the confidence that users enjoy and understand it.
This project was broadcasted in Austria & Thüringe, shared in Museumsbunf Österreich with more than 800 members. Also, Deutsches Museum was offered as a pilot for the implementation.